Monday, September 7, 2009

I'm Back!

Hello. I haven't updated this blog for almost a month. This is because my faithful modem was struck by lightning during a thunderstorm last month. The thing is, the computer and the modem were not even turned on!

All I heard during the thunderstorm was a small explosion coming from the CPU and when I wanted to use the Internet that night, the modem did not respond at all. That means no more Internet for me! *groans*

So I bought a new modem last weekend. Why not sooner, you ask? That's because I had to wait for my salary first T_T



Isn't it cute? And so classy too. Costs only RM135. It has 4 ports.

When I tried to install it, there was another problem: the modem cannot detect the network card! The LED of the network card did not flicker at all. So I concluded that it was also busted due to the thunderstorm. Since the shops are not open on Sundays, I had to wait until this morning to buy a new network card.



It's really cheap (RM35 after discount), but since I didn't know how to install it, I asked the technician to have it installed to my CPU. With service charge, the whole thing costs RM70! How exorbitant!

Note to self: I really have to learn the basics of computer hardware after this! Can anybody teach me?

So after replacing the network card, the new modem was finally installed. I had no idea how easy it was! And for the first time, I was able to go online after almost a month! I miss Streamyx so much!

Thus, I learned something important from this. The technician said that the modem is an easy victim of lightning. Therefore, during thunderstorms, please remove the telephone line (the main one leading to the splitter) and remove the modem's power outlet.

I already learned my lesson. The hard way. T_T

P/S: I had published my previous entries for you to read. I hope you enjoyed them.

1 comments:

Izuan said...

Ummul:
Yeah, be careful. If not, your money will be wasted just because of your carelessness. I DO wish somebody had told me about that info earlier T_T

 


Design by: Pocket